Saturday, February 27, 2010

5 Word Prompt Poem for Claire

Spa Love Pineapples Chocolate Hugh

When Hugh said "We need to talk,"
In his thoughtful voice
The one he uses when
He thinks I might argue with him.
I stopped cutting the pineapple,
Put the knife down carefully,
Pushing the edge away,
Thinking about the three other
Pineapples patiently waiting
On the washboard,
And the people arriving soon
That Hugh had wanted to invite
And the chocolate still not sauced.
"Honey," he juts his chin as he pulls
his words out of his gut
"I'm not sure I love you anymore."
I'm not sure if her hears my sigh
"Of course you love me, dear. You've
Just forgotten how it feels."
I kiss his cheek and ruffle his hair.
He is so proud of his hair at his age.
I put the knife in his hand,
Holding his hand over the handle.
"Now chop the fruit for your friends,
They'll be here any minute."
Already I'm thinking
about the spa tomorrow,
To relieve his guilt with my pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment