Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bent Showcase Spoken Word (in writing)

Our fingers touched as we both reached for the last strawberry.

“Oh, please, you take it.” I said turning my hand over to a palm.

“Oh, no, I couldn’t. You take it.” She said, mimicking my palm.

I am the hostess. My mother would turn in her grave if she caught me taking the last of anything while entertaining a guest.

“I’m not really hungry for more. I was just going to finish the last lonely strawberry. It looks juicy. You should take it.” I insisted.

“No, really, I was only taking it to seem nice.” she said, her smile turned down coyly

“Well, I’m not going to eat it now. You might as well. It will go to waste. You know you want it” I said, and pushed the dish towards her.

She pushed it back, “I’m pretty sure you want it.” Her smile got bigger and warmer.

I took a deep breath. I wasn’t sure whether I was losing my patience or ready to find a new way. I picked up the strawberry, carefully pinching the green cap to keep from touching the succulent fruit. I waved it slowly under her nose so she could smell how ripe and ready the fruit was.

She pushed my hand away. I was so surprised and distracted by her touch that the strawberry was almost pushed into my mouth before I realized what she was doing. She laughed when I ducked my hand under hers.

I took a deep breath. I knew what I had to do. I looked her right in the eye and thrust my hand forward so that the strawberry opened up on her face, dripping red juice on her lips.



1 comment: