Wednesday, April 6, 2011

10 Minute Prompt: What is on your walls?

Every event in my life now is memorialized by a photograph. This was not always so. Before digital photography I spent many years between cameras, unwilling to spend money on film and developing. During those years other people would come up to me during Gay Pride or at the Wild Rose on a crowded night, or on Broadway on a Sunday afternoon, and say to me, "I have this picture of you in your fringe jacket!" or "I have this picture of me leaning back on you at Denny Blaine, my crew cut head between your bare breasts. I'll sell it when you run for office." Then they wink.
In the photographed days I always imagined I would fill a wall with the images, the faces, the fancies, the places I had lived. Those photos are still in stacks, zipped in a portfolio. One photo made it into a frame and onto a wall. One poem, a gift from a much older, lascivious step-poet. A 4"x6" black and white photo of my father's family taken when my Aunt Corene was away in the city. A framed piece of wrapping paper adorned with the snow queen and her fire snorting stallions spraying snow and winter ptarmigan at the runners of her sled.

No comments:

Post a Comment