Saturday, April 24, 2010

10 Minute Prompt: Overdoing it, or Doing it over

The first thing I feel is a throb at the back of my head. Lifting heavy lids, my eyes ache precariously and shut again. Throbs move around my scalp, slowly at first, back to front, then back again. I turn over in my bed, sotted sheets askew, blanket nowhere to be found. A dry martini insinuates itself between my ears. That was drink 1-3. Rum and coke sloshes around the top of my neck where my skull comes to rest. Drinks 4-7. This routine turns out the same. Last time the sheets were just as hot as this time. Lather, rinse, repeat. Drink, drunk, repeat. Next weekend is the do-over. Next week a whole new chance to change the score. 1 point for each puffy eye, 5 points for sour stomach, 2 points for pain in my forehead, 2 points for pain in the back of my head, 2 points for an aching neck. 4 points for difficulty breathing. Each drink drunk repeat promises to outshine the last, but it never does. They are all one long line of dull, creaking, blurry, mash-ups of each other. There is always laughter, there is always tears, there is sometimes vomit. There is often shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment