Saturday, April 24, 2010

10 Minute Prompt: Write about Loving Loneliness

My emotions are scoured from my bones like the flash-flood run-off of a desert squall. Sadness drips into the sand, joy and bliss melt away on the rocks, gratitude steams up from the pavement, frustration trickles down a pane of glass. I am left with emptiness, no thin rope holds me safe, no one is herding me back to the fold, no hug awaits me, no spoken word reminds me that I'm human. Alone is all I feel, no hope of reconnection.

I would pay to feel this, I would revisit this spot as often as I can get away. I throw myself into an emptiness that doesn't catch me. Pure freedom, relinquished from responsibility of communication, adrift in indifference. I become inconsequential. Nothingness begins to feel like a pillow-top mattress. Nothingness is its own room, decorated by everyone who's ever been there. This room is more comfortable than any room I own. Abandon all hope ye who enter, free yourself from expectations. Loneliness is a four letter word. Loneliness is a place where I can't exist. Loneliness is my only solace. Loneliness is where I'm at my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment