Sunday, June 20, 2010

10 minute prompt: I am more ____ than _____

I am smarter than I am pretty
I often think of this and sometimes say it
and see the taken aback in someone's face

I am more student than woman
But no one sees student when they look at me

I am more thinker than player
But people just want to play

I am more memoir than fiction,
But I don't want you to know that

I am more poetry than prose,
but prose is more appealing

I am more rain than sunshine
But there is nothing I love more
than raising my face to the heat
and blinding light on a late summer afternoon.

I am more water than land
but often feel at sea,
desperate for an atoll.

I am more cold than hot,
but the waters that run deep
in me are magma

I am more big than small
but sometimes cannot find my voice
and shrink to a pinpoint.

I am more gray than technicolor
but I can see someone catch the emerald and sapphire
of my eye and sway mesmerized.

I am more flesh than bone,
but yearn to shed the flesh
and live sharp, bare, hard, and brittle.

4 comments:

  1. Caren, that is fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing. So good to see you today. You are a bright star in my life.

    ReplyDelete